Facts on Republic Day | 26 January : Every Indian heart fills with pride when we see the National Flag unfurling on Republic Day. 26th January brings out the patriot in us but not everybody knows how much significance the day holds for us. So here we have some Facts on Republic Day that you should know :
Facts on Republic Day
- January 26, 1930 was earlier celebrated as India’s Independence Day or Purna Swaraj Day. It’s the day India decided to fight for complete freedom.
- The first Republic Day was celebrated on January 26, 1950, three years after we got independence.
- A Christian song, Abide With Me, is played at the Republic Day Parade. It is believed to be one of Mahatma Gandhi’s favorite songs.
- India’s Constitution is the longest in the world. It has a total of 448 articles.
- Drafting the Constitution was a herculean task. Dr B.R. Ambedkar took 2 years and 11 months to draft the Indian Constitution.
Republic Day India
Before the Constitution came into force, India followed British Government’s Government of India Act 1935. A majority of national awards such as Bharat Ratna, Padma Bhushan and Kirti Chakra are awarded during the Republic Day ceremony. Republic Day honors the date on which the Constitution of India came into force on 26 January 1950 replacing the Government of India Act as the governing document of India.
Chief Guest of Republic Day 2017
In a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Mohamed bin Zayed expressed “thanks for the kind invitation to attend India’s Republic Day celebrations”. In another signal to Pakistan, India Sunday said Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan will be the chief guest at the 2017 Republic Day parade.