World Leprosy Eradication Day 2017 : World Leprosy Eradication Day is observed every year on last Sunday of January.The aim of the day is to create awareness about leprosy, to help people living with the disease and to educate other people who take care of people suffering from this disease. World Leprosy Day creates awareness that leprosy is in fact curable. This day is meant to help people living with the disease to understand that it is in fact a curable disease and to know that other people care about them. Though the disease has a cure, there are many people living with the disease. Leprosy holds the stigma that it is like HIV/AIDS which is why World Leprosy Day was developed to educated people and removes or weakens the stigma.
World Leprosy Eradication Day 2017
What causes leprosy?
A germ, or bacteria, called Mycobacterium leprae causes an infection that affects the skin, destroys nerves and can also cause problems in the eyes and nose.
What are the signs of leprosy?
- Spots on the skin that may be slightly red, darker or lighter than normal skin.
- The spots may also become numb and even lead to loss of hair on the affected part of the skin.
- Numbness in hand, finger or toe resulting in muscle paralysis
- Loss of blinking reflex of the eye; this may lead to dryness, ulceration and even blindness
- Deformity and crippling may be caused at the last stage of the disease.
Leprosy Day in India
This day was chosen in commemoration of the death of Mahatama Gandhi, the leader of India who understood the importance of leprosy. Leprosy is one of the oldest recorded diseases in the world.
Keep visiting us for similar posts. You may share this post on various social networking sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Whatsapp etc etc. Your suggestions and ideas are most welcome. Stay tuned to Realsneak.